My Honest Thoughts on Sierra Burgess is a Loser


Back in high school, I was Sierra Burgess.


I liked this guy so much but he didn't like me back.

My friend told me that he thought I was okay. But he didn't like me that way because I was fat.

That word as been imprinted in my heart the second I was told it. I was the fat outsider who was obsessed with this guy who has the biggest, most charming smile in the 2nd year. I wrote poems, wrote songs and cried the moment people started telling me that he liked this other girl who was, well... who was small and tiny.


I was Sierra Burgess without the popular friend, without the parents and without the happy ending. The popular kids made fun of me because I had a passion for leadership. They hated my guts so whenever I'd teach a couple of chants for our cheering team, they'd make fun of me behind my back. Acting like they'd stab me or choke or vomit behind my back. Some of my other friends would laugh and I wouldn't know that it was happening until my real friends told me about it.

I was a loser in high school. I was Sierra Burgess 10x.


In the middle of the movie, I felt the same emotions she had. Knowing that she can never be small, never be beautiful no matter how much other people tell her she's talented and smart. Being smart, after all, never makes the boys chase around you. But I wasn't her when the guy she likes kissed her.

This one summer, the guy I liked and I started texting a lot. We'd have inside jokes and sometimes, he'd even text first. It was all I could ever dream of. Until it was the first day of the school year and he passed by me like he didn't even know me. It was like he was reminded of what I looked like.

Which is why I'm so mad at this movie.
I'm so mad at it.

It's so unreal. It's bullshit.


It's true. Everyone can fall in love in a non-physical way.
It's true, people do fall in love deeper that way as well.

But don't tell me that this type of thing happens to high school girls. Don't tell me that a guy would fall in love with a girl like Sierra and like me so easily after a few week's worth of texting. This is just one of those movies that gives 14 year old me such high hopes. That high school would be like the fairytale it was in this movie.

It's not.
Reality isn't.
But it can be good and warm.
It can be happy. But not this happy.

Everyone can be a sunflower.
Because not everyone can be a rose.

And that's truth.

I might just be babbling and this might just be the pessimist in me talking.
But I gotta be honest.


I loved this movie.
Just disappointed at the ending.



Popular Posts